Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
¼ cup olive oil, divided
1 large yellow onion, chopped
Salt, as required
2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into ½-inch rounds
2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
4½ cups low-sodium vegetable broth
12 ounces tempeh, cut into ½-inch cubes
¼ cup tomato paste
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1. In a large soup pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat and
cook the onion with salt for about 6-8 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Add the carrots and stir to combine.
3. Lower the heat to low and cook, covered for about 5 minutes, stirring
4. Add in the broth and bring to a boil over high heat.
5. Lower the heat to a low and simmer, covered for about 30 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat the remaining oil over medium-high heat and
cook the tempeh for about 3-5 minutes.
7. Stir in the dill and cook for about 1 minute.
8. Remove from the heat.
9. Remove the pan of soup from heat and stir in tomato paste and lemon
10. With an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth and creamy.
11. Serve the soup hot with the topping of tempeh